Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Re-Distribution of Wealth

That's how I heard a friend describe what had happened to her body since her wedding day (and after having five children). Now, I think she's completely insane and looks fantastic, but I loved the phrase. I can also totally appreciate the concern. And I've only had one kid! That stinkin' progesterone during pregnancy just relaxes anything that was toned, and sure you get a beautiful baby who's of course worth it, but then you have to EXERCISE and work to get it back!! Ugh, puke in my mouth!!

So yeah, exercise and I are not friends. Mortal enemies, actually. This is me:


Here's another little bit of hilarity I found on Pinterest:


Except I seriously have not RUN just to RUN, like, ever. Only when forced by a chubby gym teacher who insisted we were all disappointments.

Anyway....

I have not exercised ONCE since Nathan was born. I am back down to my pre-baby/pre-marital size, but that was due to the "adventures" my anti-anxiety pills sent me on (losing ten lbs in about ten days as a side effect of a medication...NOT healthy!!), and the baby I had who insisted on constantly nursing for the first six months of his life (at least!). That was one blessing of a colicky child; eating always "reset" him and calmed him down (until he had to digest what he ate, that is!)

I was super toned in high school. I had awesome muscles. I had a six-pack (not that anyone ever saw it; yup, I was proud to be a modestly-dressed teenager!), and I could squat close to 300 lbs. That's right! As proud of that big number as I was, my thighs bulked up like mad. It was probably because my weights coach was also the football coach and treated the 3 girls in our class like the jocks.

Oh well, that's all said and done, and the effects of high school weightlifting are all gone. Needless to say, I know how to build muscle, but I mainly just want to tone what I have. I don't want to bulk up again!

But, I have been feeling an itch to DO something active lately. Which totally isn't me.

Maybe it has to do with being cooped up inside all winter.

Maybe it's because I got an amazing bike for Christmas that's just been living in our garage. It's seriously the prettiest thing you've ever seen: all light blue and girly but still looks sleek and cool, its light blue paint with this glisten-y finish. Oh man. I swear if drivers in Rexburg didn't speed up to hit bikers, I'd totally be one every day! on the warm days!

So, here's my question...the reason for this 300-some word post...

I want to get my legs in shape for summer. And hey, my arms could use a little less flab than most 85 year-old grannies have, so let's go there too.

I have lots of great friends with lots of great advice, so here's my question:

What should I do to tone!?
I'd like to not buy anything, besides maybe cheap-o hand weights or something. And some cute exercise clothes that will make it worth it to actually get up! :o)

We have access to a Roku (which has some very cheesy, yet I'm sure effective, exercise channels), Netflix + Hulu Plus, and a living room that is all mine on certain days/nights when Mitch is working or in class and Nathan is taking a nap. (Kickboxing with a toddler around? Not gonna happen, that kid is gonna get kicked in the head!)

Privacy is required; I don't want Mitchell to be laughing it up at his cheesy bubble-chasing awkward girl. I know it sounds silly, but I think a lot of people feel like they don't want to exercise with someone watching them!

I also have next semester, April - September, as my "off track" (my one of the three semesters where I don't have to be in school...I'm only taking 2 credits). This would give me plenty of time to work out before swimsuit season.

Let's go over the conditions again:
1) As close to free as possible. I'm a budget Nazi right now.
2) I'm not goin out in public, unless it's on a bike. End of story.
3) I have 2 pairs of "toning shoes" that I swear do nothing. Stupid knock-offs!
4) Let's tone, not bulk.

I'd love some help; any advice is good advice!

PS--For those of you who "used to hate exercise" and now it "gives you a reason for living"...I don't believe you. Prove me wrong! But I'll tell ya, it is so much fun to sit on my couch and watch Last Man Standing with Mitch. We laugh enough to count it as our 20 minutes of exercise for the week :o)


5 comments:

  1. If you have cable you should have a channel like excerise on demand its free or should be anyway mine was they have a tone of great videos you can do and follow along with...if not stop by your good old miltarty recurits office and ask them if they wouldn't mind showing you a couple of things these guys have to do pt everyday some of its crazy stuff but it works I was doing a little of both but that's until we found out that we were expecting again. Hope that helps

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been working out with some ladies at the church lately. We just do whatever exercise video anyone has on hand. Anyway, we do a pilates video fairly often and I LOVE it. It give your body a work-out and tones muscles splendidly without it being excruciatingly difficult or overly-bouncy or anything. so...that's a good place to start :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and you don't look (or feel) ridiculous while doing it. That's a major plus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this post! I can't say I have any proven advice but I'm just now starting this workout http://www.prevention.com/print/26102. i'll let you know in a couple weeks haha. and i totally agree about the whole ''don't want the husband to watch me work out'' lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you seriously not considered zumba? I use the term "zumba" very loosely. Basically anything dance/aerobic because that's what speaks to me. Before we let Rexburg, I would go up on campus to their zumba classes at night and that was soo fun! Yes that doesn't fit in your "privacy" parameters but you're not the only one looking silly when you mess up a move. PLus if you bring a friend, then you don't feel so bad. I've found some dance/aerobic stuff on Netflix instant play as well as some stuff on youtube (my favorite: http://www.youtube.com/user/GRDanceFitness). Anyway, that's what I do. Also, there are exercise videos you could check out from the library, various yoga ones or whatever fits your fancy. Just kick Mitch out of the room or do it when he's in class.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! :o)